Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] HP Data Protector vs Veritas Net Backup

2015-11-25 15:02:36
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] HP Data Protector vs Veritas Net Backup
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT dsservices DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 20:02:29 +0000
I've worked on NetBackup since around version 3 (we're now up to 7.6) and I
find it works well with various tape libraries as well as various deduplication
appliances (we currently have Quantum DXi and EMC Data Domain and are
evaluating ExaGrid.   The ExaGrid after 3 weeks of POC looks really good to us
so we'll likely replace the DXi and DD units with it - it unlike the other
appliances has settings to recognize the backup types being done such as
NetBackup.)

NetBackup has plugins (at additional cost) that work with many different vendor
products (e.g. Oracle RMAN,   MS-SQL,  MS-Exchange,  MS Hyper-V) and of course
has agents for standard backups of Systems/Files for UNIX (HP-UX, Solaris
[probably AIX but I haven't done that]) ,  Linux (2.4 kernels through 3.x so
far - we do mostly RHEL here),  MS-Windows (we've done NT through Windows 2012
but currently don't have anything under Windows 2000).

I last directly used HP's backup solution when it was still called Omniback.

We don't care for EMC as an organization here because of what they did to us
with their storage arrays a few years back.   Data Domain as an independent
company was fine to work with but we'd not likely buy one now because of EMC's
ownership.   Dell is buying EMC which may improve them overall but then again
it is suggested Dell's main interest is in getting VMWare which EMC has the
majority ownership of currently.

The DXi we originally got was fine and worked well for our purposes (though
tape was always faster and our POC shows the ExaGrid is even faster than tape).
  However, DXi went to post-ingest deduplication to inline which caused us to
miss our backup windows until we finally forced them to revert us to original
unit.   Were I to look at another DXi I'd require onsite POC before I'd be
willing to use their newer units.

Although DXi, Data Domain and ExaGrid all allow for offsite replication units I
doubt any of them allow you to replicate to anything other than another of
their units.  The replication is done from appliance to appliance over the WAN
not via the backup software (NetBackup, Data Protector).   If I read you
correctly you are thinking you can replicate from your two colo data domains to
some other unit at another site and I don't think that works.

We haven't done the offsite replication (we duplicate to tape and send the
tapes off site) but in ExaGrid's model they say their offsite replication is
only of the compressed/deduped backups (not the landing area which is not
deduped yet) so it would use less throughput on WAN.

NetBackup makes their own deduplication appliance but my reading about them
didn't give me a warm fuzzy so we didn't investigate them when we started
looking for replacement for our DXi and Data Domain stuff.

We also heard from a company called Actifio which does offsite replication and
isn't just a backup solution.   My own take on it was that it would be a great
product to allow us not to be tied to vendor specific disk arrays for data
replication in house (i.e. you can virtualize storage from multiple arrays).
It also allows for offsite replication to another unit and they suggest they do
very little over the WAN because of the way they set it up.   Were we doing
such replication rather than tape duplications I might have pushed harder for
that.

If you're doing a DR plan offsite replication of daily backups allowed by the
various dedupe units or the Actifio would probably be the best way to plan
rather than spinning tapes so long as you put your offsite replication to
something in another city via WAN.