Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] HP Data Protector vs Veritas Net Backup

2015-11-24 21:35:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] HP Data Protector vs Veritas Net Backup
From: tech472 <nbu-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 12:51:48 -0800
Our two EMC Data Domain 640 repositories, one which we keep in our offsite CoLo
facility and the other in our main office, have maxed out their capacity sooner
than we had planned. Along with the DD?s we use Avamar nodes to backup our VMs
with Direct Drive Mappings (SQL clusters) and a few physical servers. We also
use Veeam to back up the majority of our VM?s - approx 100 servers. Replication
occurs between the two DDs, approx 63TB compressed.

We?re currently researching a solution where we combine both DD?s at the CoLo
and replicate the data to an offsite provider. The main challenge here is
finding a solution that talks to the EMC DD/Avamar nodes. Two options we?re
considering are Veritas Net Backup and HP Data Protector. We used Backup Exec
prior to our infrastructure going mostly virtual but are not familiar with the
Data Protector product. Would be interested to hear reviews from users of
either product.