Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup Oracle Intelegent Agent

2015-01-29 08:49:15
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup Oracle Intelegent Agent
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT dsservices DOT com>
To: "VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU" <VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 13:49:07 +0000
I'm not sure what OIA is but you can backup Oracle RAC using Oracle RMAN in
tandem with the NetBackup Oracle agent.   With RMAN you don't have to take the
database online.   Our DBAs here set their backup to the node but I've
suggested more than once that they use the VIP instead because that will float
to another node if the one they're backing up would go down.

I don't think you'd be able to ever backup from multiple nodes at the same time
for the same RAC cluster since each node is mounting the SAME disks as the
other nodes in that cluster.

For larger databases we do disk array copying (e.g. EMC BCV or SRDF or Hitachi
Shadow Images) to mirror each disk (or LUN) from the Production server to other
disks (or LUNs) within the array.   When that is fully synchronized we put
Oracle into  hot backup (or shut it down completely once a week for "cold"
backup), split the mirror off, take Oracle out of hot backup (or restart it) on
Production.   We then mount the mirror copy on a separate media server and do
standard (i.e. flat file, not Oracle/RMAN) backup.   Most of the shops I've
worked in did this.

One place I worked instead setup separate servers that had a cloned database
mounted in standby mode.   We had full redo logging turned on and copied
Production logs from there to the standby node then applied the logs to that
standby database.   That meant you could get Production back online by taking
the standby out of standby and making it the Production node.   (We did
however, put in a 6 hour delay between shipping the logs to the standby server
and actually applying them to help prevent any faux pas that took down
Production from getting immediately applied to standby.)