Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 7.1 - Windows Slow duplication Tape to Tape

2015-01-29 08:38:16
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 7.1 - Windows Slow duplication Tape to Tape
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT dsservices DOT com>
To: Bluejay Adametz <bluejay AT fujifilm DOT com>, Veritas List <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 13:38:07 +0000
The standard duplication does it by "image" rather than "tape" so it seems
unlikely you'd get the same multiplexing on the duplicate as you did on the
original.

We don't do multiplexing here because while it speeds up backups it slows down
restores (and also requires more tapes).   The whole reason for doing backups
is to be able to restore so your planning around backups should focus on
restore times as well as backup windows.

Back when we had Ultrium 1 we did tape to tape replication but of course that
uses more tape drives.    As someone else suggested doing backups to
deduplication appliances (we use both Data Domain and Quantum DXi) then
duplicating that to tape is much faster and allows you to free up tape drives
for duplications and restores.   We've been doing that for more than 3 years
now.   Also although we don't do it here many of the deduplication appliances
have a replication feature.   That would eliminate the need for tape because
you could send your replication to an offsite location over WAN rather than
having to have a vendor like Iron Mountain or Recall come and pick up your
tapes (and later return them).