Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] remote ndmp on Netbackup 7.5.0.5

2014-05-13 10:06:08
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] remote ndmp on Netbackup 7.5.0.5
From: Patrick <netbackup AT whelan-consulting.co DOT uk>
To: "Steven Gelsie" <steven.gelsie AT jhuapl DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 14:05:55 +0000
  Michael is correct.
Step 1 is on the EMC
This section describes how to configureNDMPbackups to Media Manager
storage
units.
To configure NDMP backups to Media Manager storage units
1 Authorize the NetBackup server to access the NDMP hosts you want to
back
up. (This is Michael's step 1)
Do the following on the master server (not media server) if you plan to
create
snapshots using the Snapshot Client NAS_Snapshot method:
■ Under Media and Device Management > Credentials, click on NDMP
Hosts. Under the Actions menu, choose New>NewNDMPHost to display
the Add NDMPHost dialog box.
■ Fill in the values.

From page 44 of the NDMP Administrators Guide version 7.5
To authorize NetBackup access to the NDMP host
1 Onthe NetBackup server NetBackupAdministrationConsole, expand Media
and Device Management > Credentials >NDMPHosts.
2 Under the Actions menu, select New > NewNDMPHost.
3 In the AddNDMPHost dialog box, enter the name of the NDMP server for
NetBackup to back up. The NDMPhost name is case-sensitive. Whenever this
host name is used, the name must be identical to the name entered here.
(For example, when you configure tape drives and storage units for this
host.) Configuring NDMP backup to NDMP-attached devices
4 Click OK.
5 In the NewNDMPHost dialog box, specify the following:
(The term credentials refer to the user name and password that NetBackup
uses to access the NDMP host.)
Enables all NetBackup media servers under the master
server to access this NDMP host using a predefined
global NDMP logon.
To create this logon, click Host Properties > Master
Server > Properties >NDMP in the NDMPGlobal
Credentials dialog box.
Use globalNDMP
credentials for thisNDMP
host
Enables all NetBackup media servers that are
connected to the NDMP host to access the NDMP host
using the logon you specify:
■ Username: The user name under which NetBackup
accesses the NDMP server. This user must have
permission to run NDMP commands.
■ Password and Confirm Password: Enter the
password for this user.
Use the following
credentials for thisNDMP
host on all media servers
Specifies NDMP logons for particular NetBackup
servers. Then click Advanced Configuration.
■ In the AdvancedNDMPCredentials dialog box,
click Add.
■ In the Add Credentials dialog box, select a
NetBackup server and specify the user name and
password it uses to access the NDMP host.
■ Click OK. NetBackup validates the user name and
password.
■ The NetBackup server and user name appear in the
AdvancedNDMPCredentials dialog box.
■ If necessary, click Add again to specify other
servers and user
Usedifferentcredentialsfor
thisNDMPhost on each
media server

Back to page to page 62 of NDMP Administrators Guide

2 Use the NetBackup Device Configuration Wizard to configure the
drive(s)
and robot(s).
Note the following:
■ Do not use the "Configuring NDMP backup to NDMP-attached devices"
topic in this guide. Configure the robots and drives as ordinary
NetBackup
devices, not as NDMP-attached devices.
See the NetBackup Administrator’s Guide, Volume I.
■ Drives can be shared using the NetBackup Shared Storage Option (SSO).
The drives can be shared as both NDMP drives and non-NDMP drives.
See “About the Shared Storage Option (SSO)” on page 73.
3 Create a Media Manager storage unit for the drive(s). The storage unit
type
must be Media Manager, not NDMP.
Note the following for NDMP multiplexing:
■ Select the EnableMultiplexing check box on theNewStorageUnit menu.
■ Set the Maximum streams per drive entry to a value greater than one.
For details on storage units, refer to the NetBackup Administrator’s
Guide,
Volume I.
4 Create an NDMP-type policy. On the New/Change Policy display, be sure
specify the storage unit that was created in the previous step.
Note the following for NDMP multiplexing:
■ Set the Media multiplexing attribute on the AddNewSchedule menu to
a value greater than one.

If you have problems, let me know which of the above steps gives you the
problem.