Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Pure Disk Pool Down -MSDP

2014-02-26 07:37:38
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Pure Disk Pool Down -MSDP
From: William Brown <william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com>
To: Veritas <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 12:37:21 +0000

I have had some bad experiences with ZFS under FreeNAS.  I suggest that you login to the OS and see what ‘zpool status -x’ reports.

I find that when the hard disk has a bad sector ZFS cannot recover easily.  If the unreadable block is written, the disk hardware will revector the bad block to a spare.  But as ZFS is a copy-on-write file system, you cannot write the bad block e.g. by overwriting the file that has the bad block.  The only way around it is to remove the disk from the RAID set, mount it up as UFS and then write to the block, or erase the whole disk.  Then add back and resilver. I had a case where ZFS would not let me remove the disk as that did not leave sufficient redundancy.  Anyhow having to do all that every time a disk has a bad sector is painful.

So, I suggest that you check that ZFS is OK as a good place to start.

William