Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Shelf life of LTO tapes - with or without plastic canister

2013-12-20 09:59:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Shelf life of LTO tapes - with or without plastic canister
From: "Bahnmiller, Bryan E." <bbahnmiller AT dtcc DOT com>
To: 'Dean' <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 14:59:05 +0000
Dean,

        Both Justin and Jeff make good points. If you are required to use tape,
the specifications for _optimum_ LTO tape life include things like:
- The operational environment must be kept at the specified temperature and
humidity.
- The tape storage environment must be kept at the specified temperature and
humidity.
- Transport the tapes in the proper orientation.
- Do not exceed the manufacturer's recommended number of writes.
- The tapes should be read and re-tensioned twice a year.
- Tapes cannot be dropped.

        If you follow all these rules, LTO tapes should have somewhere around a
30 year life span. Of course, no one can follow all those rules... The
manufacturer statements always include statements that if you violate any of
those rules "copy the tape to a new tape and discard the original".

        I have had to go over these statements time and time again whenever
someone says that they want us to go back and keep their data for 10 years, 20
years, etc. I will always feed that disclaimer back to the requesting party.
"Yes, we can do that, but we cannot guarantee the lifetime of that tape."

        As for putting them back in their case? Check the manufacturer's
recommendations. Most of the storage/transport cases I have seen are designed
to fit a tape that is in its plastic carrier case.

        Bryan