Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Shelf life of LTO tapes - with or without plastic canister

2013-12-20 08:40:00
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Shelf life of LTO tapes - with or without plastic canister
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 13:39:54 +0000

We’ve used Iron Mountain for years and they’ve never had this requirement.   We use the “transports” (their boxes) to put multiple tapes in without the original plastic cases after ejects.    The return tapes come back in the same kind of transports.   Within the last year or so IM seems to have moved from the metal “transports” to thick plastic ones.

I don’t understand the comments about “archiving”.   The point in using IM or any other center is so that you don’t lose both your data center AND your backups in the same disaster.

Of course you could avoid tapes altogether by using a deduplication unit like the Data Domain or the Quantum DXi and having that replicate images to similar units at the offsite storage facility.   If they’re really paranoid about tape movement where you are this might be an alternative they could investigate.

Jeffrey C. Lightner

Sr. UNIX Administrator

DS Waters of America, Inc.

5660 New Northside Drive NW