Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] De-multiplexing

2013-01-30 01:09:10
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] De-multiplexing
From: Rusty Major <rusty.major AT sungard DOT com>
To: John Collins <jhn.collins AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 00:09:01 -0600
All backup images made under previous NBU versions are forward compatible with newer versions.

I see only two choices:
1) Expire the data on the tapes that your customers are asking to be disposed of and do nothing more.
2) Call back all the tapes and duplicate each customer's backups to individual tapes, keeping all backups single-tenant. Destroying all the old tapes and any new ones going forward will satisfy their requirement.

Option 1 is obviously more feasible (potentially the only realistically possible solution if there are thousands of tapes), but depending on what your contractual obligation of 'disposed of' means, you may have to go with option 2, or someone may face making a tough decision. This might be a good opportunity to revisit your contracts and defining multi-tenancy on tape (and even disk for that matter), what your company will/won't do, and allowing the option of single-tenancy for a higher price. I would recommend trying to think about this and not word it so it locks you in to specific media or technologies.

Good luck!
-Rusty