Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] IBM LTO-5 Drive Question (8.0gbps FC, FW: B5BF)

2011-12-13 09:31:26
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] IBM LTO-5 Drive Question (8.0gbps FC, FW: B5BF)
From: "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner AT water DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 14:31:20 +0000
A good thing to ask vendors when they suggest you patch software or update
firmware is for the documentation for that patch/firmware that shows where it
fixes your SPECIFIC issue.

Telling people to patch/update has always been viewed by me as just a vendor
stalling tactic for the most part.  You should of course do planned
patching/updating as regular maintenance but usually when it is suggested
during troubleshooting it has little value and doesn't solve the issue.  In
more than 20 years I can only think of 2-3 occasions where a vendor when so
challenged was actually able to show where the suggested patch/firmware
specifically mentioned the issue I was having.