Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Robot inquiry/poll/how well does your robot/s work?

2011-12-02 14:36:50
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Robot inquiry/poll/how well does your robot/s work?
From: Jack.Forester AT mylan DOT com
To: "Justin Piszcz" <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 14:35:59 -0500
I've used mostly the big library iron:

StorageTek Powderhorn - Very reliable, EOL now, but up to 450 tape
exchanges per hour, slow to inventory if it needed to scan the entire
library
StorageTek SL8500 - Loved the redundancy, speed and scalability.  Had 3 at
a former employer.  One had a problem in which one of the plastic tape rack
modules (the things that mount on the walls of the library and hold the
tapes) was slightly warped.  Occasionally, when a handbot would come
speeding by and it was holding a tape at the right height, it would knock
the tape out of the gripper.  No complaints here.  Stellar service from
Sun/STK whenever we needed.
StorageTek L700 - Very reliable, supported multiple types of drives,
reasonably quick robotics
IBM TS3100/3200 - Nice small/medium office libraries.  Occasionally run
into problems with the robotics and drives, but not terribly frequently.
IBM support can be difficult to deal with sometimes in our locations
outside of the US
IBM TS3310 - Solid library, can't remember having problems with them.
Robotics are slow.  Decent scalability, and can be partitioned into logical
libraries.

Extending this discussion, what about tape drives?

We've just started using IBM LTO-5 drives earlier this year and have been
blown away with their performance and capacity.  Haven't had to replace any
yet.
Our LTO-3 drives have been solid performers regardless of manufacturer.
STK T9940A/B.  Nice, reliable enterprise class drives.  Didn't require us
to buy new tapes when moving from the A to B series.
STK T10000 - Bought some of these at a former employer, but left before
they could be installed.  Heard they were great drives.
DLT/SDLT - Meh.
--
Jack Forester, Jr.
Sr. Data Protection Administrator