Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 6.5 SQL Online Question

2010-07-20 11:09:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6.5 SQL Online Question
From: "WEAVER, Simon \(external\)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 16:09:11 +0100

All
I am looking for suggestions from anyone performing online SQL Backups, using the native agent.

I seem to recall that the majority of all our online SQL Backups run perfectly, and once the initial parent job runs, the child jobs kick in, and in many cases, multiple SQL child jobs for a single server.

In 5.1, it always seemed to be 1 parent, then 1 child job. once that child had finished backup, the next child job would initiate. When I put in 6.5, this problem went away :)

For the past week, I am seeing this behaviour in NBU Master 6.5.3 Win2k3 and on 6.5.3 NBU Client SQL Jobs.

One client has quite a few DB's - 1 over 300GB, most around 10 - 20GB each. Yet the entire job is taking over 20 hours to complete. But the behaviour is One Parent Job and 1 Child job running.

I ran over to the test setup, and sure enough, the problem is now seen over there.
A look at my .bch file shows this setup...

OPERATION BACKUP
DATABASE $ALL
SQLHOST "MySQLServer"
NBSERVER "NBU65Master"
MAXTRANSFERSIZE 0
BLOCKSIZE 7
BROWSECLIENT "MySQLServer"
ENDOPER TRUE

The Policy has been set to allow Multiplexing for "Default-Application-Backup" to a high number. The actual Schedule Job does not allow any setting for Mutliplexing to be changed. Storage Unit is set to a higher number.

Reading the 6.5 SQL Admin, it talks about using Stripes and Multiplexing, but in this instance, MPX is not working. So I came across the "BatchSize" parameter. Apparantly, you can specify how many operations start concurrently. (as I read it).

But I wanted to get an idea as to whether the behaviour I am seeing is normal, or what else I could do to get more streams running to a "single" Tape Drive.

There are articles out there that allow me to span across more than 1 drive, but it does not apparantly work with the $ALL command.

And because DB's can get added by a Team, they may forget to tell us! Using the ALL$ at least means all DataBases get backed up!

Thanks for the input.

Regards

Simon

This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential
and/or privileged information or information otherwise protected
from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify the sender immediately, do not copy this message or any
attachments and do not use it for any purpose or disclose its
content to any person, but delete this message and any attachments
from your system. Astrium disclaims any and all liability if this
email transmission was virus corrupted, altered or falsified.
-o-
Registered Office: