Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Can't get nbu to use drives, and cant 'up' the drives.

2010-07-16 09:52:35
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Can't get nbu to use drives, and cant 'up' the drives.
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 08:52:20 -0500

If the devices are scsi attached, you can take the system down to the OK prompt and run probe-scsi-all to verify that at the OS level, the drives are being presented. This page tells you how to do it:
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/114/troubleshoot-scsi-devices-with-probe-scsi-all/

Alternatively, have you tried to reconfigure the drives using the NBU wizard? If the drives or cables were swapped accidentally when putting them back in the library, then you have re-ordered the presentation to the OS, and then NBU, which makes NBU not happy and you get the scenario you have.

Since you only have two drives, it might just be simpler/quicker to completely remove the drives from the OS and re add them, then re-run the drive config wizard or manually reconfigure them.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

tsimerson <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
Sent by: <veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>

07/16/2010 06:07 AM
Please respond to
VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU

VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu]  Can't get nbu to use drives, and cant 'up' the drives.

I don't think this problem is a NBU issue.  It looks like Solaris has lost the drives.  You need to rescan the devices to make sure that Solaris can see the drives.  I believe you can run "devfsadm -c tape" to have the system rescan for devices or issue a "touch /reconfigure" then reboot the system.

Once you can confirm that Solaris can see the drives and tapes (using mt command and suggestion from Len), then I bet NBU will just start working again.  Granted that the device names haven't changed  [Wink]