Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] New tapes are frozen

2010-04-10 20:50:12
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] New tapes are frozen
From: Dean <dean.deano AT gmail DOT com>
To: Leo Dream <dreamleo AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 10:48:46 +1000
Leo,

What type of tape library is it? There was a bug in the microcode for IBM TS3200 libraries which caused every new tape to be frozen in NBU the first time it was mounted. I can't find a reference to it now, and don't remember the details. But out short term fix was to run bplabel manually on all new tapes. The longer term fix was to install the latest microcode.

Having said that, I think the IBM TS3200's are actually OEM'd from some other manufacturer, so even if it's not an IBM, it might still be the same hardware, and you might still be seeing the same microcode bug.

Regards
Dean