Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] MS SQL Agents

2009-10-26 08:50:13
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] MS SQL Agents
From: "Shekel Tal" <Tal.Shekel AT uk.fujitsu DOT com>
To: "Bryan Bahnmiller" <bbahnmiller AT dtcc DOT com>, "Wilcox, Donald A \(GE, Research\)" <wilcox AT ge DOT com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:45:37 -0000

I suppose its personal preference.

I prefer using agents because:

1. It avoids a two stage recovery if your backup is not on local disk.

2. It puts more control and understanding in the hands of the backup administrator (and more work unfortunately)

3. It avoids scheduling issues - so you don’t start backing up to NetBackup before sql has finished dumping the data (although I suppose you could also get around this using a scripted approach)

4. lighter on client resources - you don’t have to dump the database and then still have to read it into NetBackup

5. In a large DB environment you can save on storage costs by not having to allocate db dump areas

6. If the DB server is not a media server you can still get pretty good performance, perhaps even better than reading off and writing to direct attached disk, while GigE NW and Jumbo frames

The downside is the extra training and as someone pointed out the finger pointing between DBA and backup admins - and of course the cost of the agent