Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Corruption (How to Troubleshoot)

2009-09-11 13:23:06
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Corruption (How to Troubleshoot)
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: Jorge Fábregas <jorge.fabregas AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:19:50 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I have backed up 280-350GB tarballs and restored without an issue (but linux<->linux).

I would recommend you copy the tarball from windows -> to the media server and check the md5sum, then, copy from the media server to where you are restoring it to and check the md5sum. If everything is good then you need to start looking at the netbackup software/tape/buffers/cables/etc.

I have actually seen corruption on a LINUX media server because of a tcp offload setting on the network interface being set incorrectly. All of the data was corrupted passing through it and NetBackup did not report any errors, pretty nasty-- so try what I mentioned below and report back.

Follow the checksum as it goes through the various servers. If you copy it from the source and there is an md5 mismatch then you know the server has bad memory/disk/etc.

Also, if the file shrinks, it will say "file has shrunk, padding with zeroes" - if it increases though I am not sure if it says anything in the logs.

Justin.