Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP

2009-09-02 19:51:20
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 08:00:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009, tsimerson wrote:

> I've been doing NDMP backups to our EMC NS700 without this configuration
> file.  The defaults are assumed if this file does not exist.
>
> On that same subject, anyone have any suggestions for tuning an older EMC
> Celerra environment?  I would like to get my tape buffers up to 256K but
> can't make heads or tails of the configuration parameters.  I don't have much
> chance to play with the parameter since the documentation indicates a reboot
> of the data movers is required.  These are 24x7 devices.

Hi,

If it were a regular media server:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/183702.htm

Digging into:
http://dlc.sun.com/pdf/875-3243-10/875-3243-10.pdf

On page 58:
Before using NetBackup on an NS2000 file server,
you need to configure NetBackup to
use a 32 KB buffer size for I/O. To do so, create the following file:
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_NDMP

So if you wanted to use 256k, on your master/media servers:
echo 262144 > /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_NDMP

Then, check your bptm logs(if possible) to see if the buffer size is put
into place:
bptm/log.081709:20:02:37.027 [30251] <2> write_data: received first buffer
(262144 bytes), begin writing data
bptm/log.090209:04:02:49.942 [23818] <2> write_backup_update_frags: block_size
= 262144

However, because it is an NDMP environment, I would wait for someone with an
active NDMP environment to respond-- I have not used NDMP for a couple of years
now and never altered the data buffers for an NDMP device/backup.

Justin.