Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP

2009-09-02 17:36:43
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP
From: Jeff Cleverley <jeff.cleverley AT avagotech DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 15:33:30 -0600

On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 5:44 AM, tsimerson <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

I've been doing NDMP backups to our EMC NS700 without this configuration file.  The defaults are assumed if this file does not exist.

I may have missed part of this thread, so excuse my assumptions :-)

When I was doing some testing of a NetApp using NDMP over TCP, I found I had to create and modify /usr/openv/netbackup/db/config/SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_NDMP.  The max size it seemed to use was 262144.  I was able to see the size changing when I turned on verbose logging.  I also had to modify the NET_BUFFER_SZ.  It sounds like you are doing a direct attach so I don't believe this will matter.

On that same subject, anyone have any suggestions for tuning an older EMC Celerra environment?  I would like to get my tape buffers up to 256K but can't make heads or tails of the configuration parameters.  I don't have much chance to play with the parameter since the documentation indicates a reboot of the data movers is required.  These are 24x7 devices.

From what I could find in my NetApp testing, it seemed the  SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_NDMP value was used by the tape and also passed to the array block sizes to send.  I didn't find any tuning parameter to use on the array.  I'm sure your EMC rep told you the arrays have non-disruptive failover :-)  I know all of our sales people alway do .

Jeff

Jeff Cleverley
Unix Systems Administrator