Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Which is Best for My NetBackup Master - 32 or 64 Bit Operating System ?

2009-07-17 17:37:49
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Which is Best for My NetBackup Master - 32 or 64 Bit Operating System ?
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: Karthikeyan.Sundaram AT cognizant DOT com
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 16:34:36 -0500
On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 3:04 AM, <Karthikeyan.Sundaram AT cognizant DOT com> wrote:
I have some doubts in choosing my NetBackup Master server OS Bit
Version. We have both 32 and 64 bit OS's.

Which will do better in my NetBackup setup either 32 bit or 64 bit.

In general, NetBackup 64-bit runs better than 32-bit.  We had issues with memory constraints on our Windows media server when it was 32-bit and our general direction is to go 64-bit for anything that doesn't *require* 32-bit *(some apps demand 32-bit only).  We had some file servers that crashed regularly until we had upgraded them to 64-bit.  64-bit Windows ha's been a more stable platform for us than 32-bit.

Microsoft's general direction also appears to towards 64-bit.

My recommendation would be to go with 64-bit unless you have a compelling reason to keep it at only 32-bit.
   .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org