Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SSO Option for LTO3 drives

2009-07-01 14:14:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SSO Option for LTO3 drives
From: tburrell <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 14:11:43 -0400
I'll chime in here for SSO too- if you have it, then zoning drives to only one
host is pointless and silly.

We are using 3 media servers and 2 NetApp appliances attached to 6 LTO3 drives
(soon to be 8 ) on a StorageTek l700 with SSO.  All media servers can use all
tape drives  as can the NetApps over NDMP. Running 6.5.3.1 (Netapps are at DOT
7.3.1) and it works very well.  We have some occasional quirks with SSO when
drives have issues, but it's more than offset by the efficiencies we gain.

If you already own SSO- use it.  It has some quirks as others describe, but
you'll probably find you get much better utilization out of your drives.

Tom Burrell