Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Frequency Based Schedules

2009-06-03 13:06:18
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Frequency Based Schedules
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: bob944 AT attglobal DOT net
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 12:02:22 -0500

>and the longest frequency will win--the monthly will run.

Bob, that's what usually happens, but that's not why. The trump card is the retention level, which usually is matched to a longer frequency, but may not always be the case.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

"bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

06/02/2009 11:33 PM
Please respond to
bob944 AT attglobal DOT net

<veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc
Steve.Hudson AT ironmountain DOT com
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Frequency Based Schedules

> Hello Guru's ... We are struggling with this scenario. We
> are a Netbackup 6.5.3.1 shop and recently discovered that
> using Frequency Based Schedules that a Monthly Full backup
> and a Weekly Full backup for the same client will run on
> the same weekend. What are we doing Wrong??

You misunderstand how the (frequency-based) scheduler works.  If the
monthly and weekly schedules start at the same time, it will work as
you expect.  Assuming that you do both on, say, Friday night (I let
mine float but that's another issue), you might set up:

diff    Sun-Sat, 2100-0600, freq 1 day
full-wk Fri      2100-0600, freq 1 weeks
full-mo Fri      2100-0600, freq 4 weeks

The scheduler will find, obviously, only the diff to run at 9pm
every day but Friday.  On Friday night, the weekly will run because
it is due (freq requirement has been met) and will trump the diff
(yes, you could just skip putting the diff in but then you have two
changes to make if you move the full to another day).  Every four
weeks, the scheduler will evaluate a due diff, a due weekly, and a
due monthly, and the longest frequency will win--the monthly will
run.

It sounds as if you might have set your schedules up the way I do
(on purpose), such as:

diff    Sun-Sat, 2100-0600, freq 1 day
full-wk Sun-Sat, 2100-0600, freq 1 weeks
full-mo Sun-Sat, 2100-0600, freq 4 weeks

beause I don't care that fulls run on any day (there are enough to
balance out through the week naturally), I don't care that on the
first night the monthly runs, the next night the weekly runs, then
six nights of diffs and a weekly..., that there will be a weekly
within the same week (though not on the same night) as the monthly.
If I run a manual weekly for some reason, it won't run again for a
week after that.  This logic is simple and, um, logical to me;
calendar-based scheduling is _far_ too much work for me to manage...
the midnight-split on calendar was so amateurishly implemented in
4.5... calendar-based just doesn't make sense to me except for the
(IMO) *very* few requirements I have to back up X based on a
business process that produces data in X on a certain date and has
to be captured immediately and handled specially.  This isn't meant
to be an anti-calendar rant, just an illustration of the different
ways of thinking about scheduling.

> I know if we used Calendar based Schedules for the Monthlys
> and excluded these dates from the Weeklys it would solve the
> problem but surely there must be a better way. Thanks in
advance...

Don't mix calendar and frequency-based in the same class, though.  I
think there's still a statement to that effect in the admin guide
vol 1--originally put there because, as I understand it, the freq
and cal schedulers were (still are?) completely different processes
and didn't share.