Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Frequency Based Schedules

2009-06-03 18:10:06
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Frequency Based Schedules
From: <Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>
To: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 17:06:40 -0500

It's a good thing I didn't take that bet with Bob, though I'm quite sure that one of the guides stated that retention level was the culprit. I went and looked at the 5.1 and 6.0 guides and they are identical to what Darren stated.
After reading that email from the Symantec guy, I'm more intrigued about all the different methods of choosing the winner. Maybe the vapor-technote will lend credibility to my side of the argument.

Anyway, thanks for setting me straight.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

06/03/2009 03:25 PM

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 12:02:22PM -0500, Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com wrote:
> >and the longest frequency will win--the monthly will run.
>
> Bob, that's what usually happens, but that's not why. The trump card is
> the retention level, which usually is matched to a longer frequency, but
> may not always be the case.

If that's true (and it wouldn't put it past them), it's a bug.  The
Administrator's Guide is explicit that frequency is the winner here:

Backup frequency determines schedule priority

If more than one automatic schedule is due for a client within a policy,
the backup frequency determines the schedule that NetBackup uses:

* Jobs from the schedule with the lower frequency (longer period between
 backups) always have higher priority. For example, a schedule with a
 backup frequency of one year has priority over a schedule with a
 backup frequency of one month.
[...]

--
Darren