Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Upgrading NetBackup from 5.1 to 6.5.3

2009-05-28 10:46:43
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Upgrading NetBackup from 5.1 to 6.5.3
From: ratheesh.das AT mindspeed DOT com
To: "Jenner, Steven" <Steven.Jenner AT Intl.Telstra DOT com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 20:13:27 +0530
You need to do consistency check using NBCC.
Netbackup services should be done before upgrading.

Please find the steps which I have performed.

1.        Preparing your server for upgrade

a)        Ensure that the server list defined on the master server doesn’t contain any media servers that are not valid. If any invalid servers are detected during upgrade, it can cause errors.

b)        Ensure that there are no non active media servers assigned to storage unit.

c)        Ensure that there are no image, media or volume database inconsistencies. The NBCC must be installed and run on the server before upgrading to ensure that all the db information is consistent.

d)        Deactivate all the policies before upgrade.

2.        Summary of sequence to upgrade to 6.5

a)        Ensure that the current version of NetBackup is having latest Maintenance patch.
b)        If the file /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/driver/snapctl10_x exists, remove it.
c)        Remove the current NetBackup server package using pkgrm VRTSnetbp.
d)        Ensure that you have all the license keys before hand.
e)        Go to the folder where you have the software for NetBackup server and run the install script.
f)        Since we don’t have PBX installed in our system, it will ask us to install the corresponding package for PBX ie VRTSpbx.
g)        During the activities it will ask us whether we want to start all the daemons for NetBackup. Answer in affirmative.
h)        Caution: Do not run nbpushdata this time.
i)        Verify that all the NetBackup policies are still deactivated but all NetBackup services should be running.
j)        Suspend netbackup resource allocation before running the nbpushdata command.
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbrbutil –suspend
k)        Delete all the files in /usr/openv/netbackup/remote_versions.
l)        Run the nbpushdata –add command. This command moves data from your current database files into a newly created EMM Database.
m)        Stop and restart the NetBackup services.
Thanks ,

Ratheesh

"Success is when your Signature becomes Autograph"

"Jenner, Steven" <Steven.Jenner AT Intl.Telstra DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

05/28/2009 07:58 PM

<Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] Upgrading NetBackup from 5.1 to 6.5.3

Hi All,

I am planning on upgrading my NetBackup solution this weekend from 5.1 to 6.5.3, I have followed the latest upgrade checklist and everything looks good to go.

Does anyone out there who has already performed this upgrade have any words of caution or gotcha’s that they can offer?

My solution consists of one Solaris 9 master server and two Solaris 9 media servers connected to 10 LTO2 tapes drives via fibre.

The clients are a mixture of Windows, Linux and Solaris but they will be upgraded at a later date.

Thanks in advance,

Steve.