Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Pre / Post Scripts on Backup Jobs with Streams

2009-05-19 07:41:36
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Pre / Post Scripts on Backup Jobs with Streams
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "WEAVER, Simon (external)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 06:37:55 -0500
On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 1:07 AM, WEAVER, Simon (external) <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net> wrote:
I have used "ST" before, not just for Oracle, but other tasks. There is no real risk here and yes fully understand why agents are out there, but if the business accept the risk, then they have to accept the consequences!

When you have multi-streamed jobs, yes, there are real risks.   If every job completes successfully, you could be fine, but if one stream fails, you could fail to restart Oracle.  Or you'll restart Oracle and NetBackup will restart the stream while Oracle is up.  Because you haven't tripped over the risks does not they aren't there.

The concept of parent jobs didn't get added until 6.0.

It's fine for you to say that business can accept the risk, but it's your job to get them to understand the risks - their backups will occasionally leave the database down, or their backups are not available for recovery because a stream ran with the database up.

Rarely have I see a business unit "accept the consequences"...