Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Media Import & Restoration

2009-05-06 08:49:27
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Media Import & Restoration
From: Heathe Kyle Yeakley <hkyeakley AT gmail DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 07:45:59 -0500
Is the catalog information for the images in the image catalog? I'm
going to assume it isn't.

Load all your tapes into your library. Make a text file on your master
server that has 1 tape barcode per line, like so:

vol_ser_1
vol_ser_2
vol_ser_3
etc...

Let's say the text file is called VOL_SER. Write a shell script that
iterates over the list using the bpimport command like so:

for i in `cat VOL_SER`   #those are back quotes
do
bpimport -create_db_info -id $i
done

Depending on how many tapes you have and how fast they are, that could
take a while to run. That will perform a phase 1 import on all the tapes
listed in your VOL_SER file.

Once all the tapes have been phase 1 imported, get a list of available
images for phase 2. If I'm reading my own notes correctly, this can be
done with the bpimagelist command. I like using the policy name that
backed up the original media. You can look at the man page for other
flags to use.

bpimagelist -policy POLICY-NAME -idonly -d START-DATE-TO-SEARCH-FROM -e
END-DATE-TO-SEARCH-TO

Example:

bpimagelist -policy MyPolicy -idonly -d 05/01/2009 -e
05/10/2009            <-- That will search for all backup ID's for
policy MyPolicy that occurred between May 1, 2009 and May 10, 2009.

The output of that command will look something like this:

Time: Mon May 06 2009 12:01:26   ID: MyClient_1240246886   FULL (0)
Time: Mon May 05 2009 12:01:25   ID: MyClient_1240246885   FULL (0)
Time: Mon May 04 2009 12:01:24   ID: MyClient_1240246884   FULL (0)
Time: Mon May 03 2009 12:01:23   ID: MyClient_1240246883   FULL (0)
Time: Mon May 02 2009 12:01:22   ID: MyClient_1240246882   FULL (0)
Time: Mon May 01 2009 12:01:21   ID: MyClient_1240246881   FULL (0)

What I typically do from here is figure out based on the time stamp of
the backup which image I want to perform my phase 2 import on. Let's say
I wanted to import that last one.

bpimport -backupid MyClient_1240246881

That will perform the phase two import of that 1 image. This can take a
while. If you wanted to import all of them, I believe you have to do
them one at a time.

This method has worked for me in the past. I'd be interested in getting
other's take on this.

Once the images have successfully completed phase 1 and phase 2 of hte
import, you restore business as usual.

(My method here is very command line heavy because I have a policy I
have to import at a DR site every week and I'm trying to find a way to
script it.)

Hope this was useful.

- Heathe Kyle Yeakley