Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Media Tape Writes and Retentions

2009-02-24 16:25:18
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Media Tape Writes and Retentions
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 20:55:30 +0000
On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:00:08AM +1100, Dean wrote:
>  4) When that happens how does the time assigned change? Will it keep the
> initial time assigned or change to the Latest time assigned image?
>
> I'm not really sure, but I think the "time assigned" value stays the same.
> It always indicates the time the first image was written to that tape,
> regardless of whether that image has since expired or not.

When a tape is expired by Netbackup, it returns the volume to the volume
manager by removing the "assigned" time.  Neither new nor returned
scratch tapes will have one.

The next time it is used, it will get a new "assigned" time.  So the
information in 'bpmedialist' is basically thrown away each time the
volume expires.

--
Darren