Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup Master and 2 Robots with SSO

2009-02-25 03:25:00
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup Master and 2 Robots with SSO
From: "WEAVER, Simon \(external\)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 08:02:28 -0000

All,
I don't belive that what I am doing is an unsupported configuration, but I thought I would pose this question in case I am going to make myself look stupid.

Environment

Win2k3 SP2 NBU 5.1 MP5 Master + 6 SAN Media SSO Using Single LTO3 Robot
Introduced new LTO4 Robot to the Master and its seen as TLD (1).

Performed test backups to the new Robot, and all is well.

On one of the SAN Media SSO Servers, I configured a new Storage Unit so 2 Servers could now see TLD(1).
Performed Test backups and all looks ok ...... until I notice a drive go down that is in use. I then UP the drive, but after 2 mins it goes down again.

Event Logs for Application showed "GetTapeParameters() failed on drive HPUltrium4-SCSI0 (device 8, \\.\Tape9): The requested resource is in use." The Source event was from NetBackup AVR Daemon.

So I decided not to perform any backups for last night, and changed the Policy back to the LTO3. Instead, as another test, some of my LAN Based Policies that were using LTO3 have now been set to use the LTO4 Storage Unit.

Came in this morning to find 1,500 jobs all hung, or active but not running, status 2, status 196, status 50.

Took the environment down, cleared all failed jobs, and set all policies back to LTO3, so I can get good backups now.

The Master is currently the only one "now" using the LTO4 and as a test, doing a simple file level backup.

Question: Anyone running multiple robots with 1 Master, and have seen problems like this?
Just off to investigate some of the errors..... Thanks

Regards

Simon

This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential
and/or privileged information or information otherwise protected
from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify the sender immediately, do not copy this message or any
attachments and do not use it for any purpose or disclose its
content to any person, but delete this message and any attachments
from your system. Astrium disclaims any and all liability if this
email transmission was virus corrupted, altered or falsified.
-o-
Registered Office: