Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Making use of 6.5.2+ default priorities in the presence of pre-existing policy priority settings

2009-02-04 13:08:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Making use of 6.5.2+ default priorities in the presence of pre-existing policy priority settings
From: Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com
To: "Rosenkoetter, Gabriel" <Gabriel.Rosenkoetter AT radian DOT biz>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 11:41:44 -0600

Gabe,

For your first question, if I'm reading it right, any policy set to 0 has the lowest priority. When creating a policy, the default priority is 0 unless specified otherwise. I think that the two descriptions are saying the same thing differently. Symantec has alluded in the past to wanting to shore up these differences in all the different documentation.

For the second question, I have no idea.

HTH,

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

"Rosenkoetter, Gabriel" <Gabriel.Rosenkoetter AT radian DOT biz>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

02/04/2009 11:18 AM

"veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] Making use of 6.5.2+ default priorities in the presence of pre-existing policy priority settings

In my environments, there are already some policy priority settings in place. For the most part, I would like to clear those and make use of default priorities... but I'm hazy on what "clear" means.

The bpplinfo man page says:

     -priority priority

               The priority of this policy in relation to other policies.
               Priority is greater than or equal to 0. This value
               determines the order in which policies are run. The higher
               the value, the earlier the policy is run. The default is 0,
               which is the lowest priority.

And the 6.5.2 documentation update says (on page 369):

 bpplinfo  Use the -priority option to specify a new priority for the backup
           job that overrides the default job priority.

Has anyone yet determined empirically whether a priority setting of 0 (which is the default if no priority is specified with bppolicynew) on the policy is a special case that means "use the default" rather than "override the default", even if the priority was previously set to a higher number?

The 6.5.2 documentation update also mysteriously refers to a "first" and "second" priority in the "Understanding the Job Priority setting" section (on page 358):

 The NetBackup Resource Broker (NBRB) maintains resource requests for jobs in
 a queue. NBRB evaluates the requests sequentially and sorts them based on the
 following criteria:
 * The request's first priority.
 * The request's second priority.
 * The birth time (when the Resource Broker receives the request).
 The first priority is weighted more heavily than the second priority, and the
 second priority is weighted more heavily than the birth time.

Has anyone sorted out what "first" and "second" mean here?

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
Radian Group Inc, Senior Systems Engineer