Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup on HP-UX 64-bit on Itanium

2008-10-14 10:36:21
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup on HP-UX 64-bit on Itanium
From: "Rosenkoetter, Gabriel" <Gabriel.Rosenkoetter AT radian DOT biz>
To: "'markjessup AT northwesternmutual DOT com'" <markjessup AT northwesternmutual DOT com>, "Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 10:08:50 -0400
> I am curious if there is anyone out there running on HP Itanium
> for Netbackup Master server.  If so, can you answer a few questions.

Sure.

We recently added a NetBackup environment on 11.31 and ia64 (smaller
than our pre-existing ones, which are 11.23 on PA-RISC). The former
is still 6.5GA, the latter are 6.5.2 (we needed the Exchange 2007
support, primarily).

> Any issues or gotchas running on this OS?

I haven't found any distinct from running NetBackup under HP-UX
ordinarily. I no longer recall whether something had to be done to
take advantage of the new pseudo-device infrastructure or if I was
just concerned about that, but since the tape drives in use there
are still /dev/rmt/cXtYdZBESTnb, I guess not.

> Netbackup stable on this OS?

Yes, it appears so.

> How is tech support knowledge?

Can't really say: I haven't had cause to call Symantec about
anything related to the OS.

> Any features that are not supported on Itanium that you were looking
> for?

Nope. You've read the compatibility list, are you fishing for one
that you found there?

> Did you move from PA-RISC to Itanium?

No, and I think that if I were to do that, I would have Vault create
a catalog tape with DR information, install the new system clean,
and then restore that catalog tape over the clean install. (I have
done that at a SunGard site with 6.5, and it works like a dream.)
That may be a bit complicated by going from 6.0mp5 to 6.5, but
upgrading the system you're migrating from to 6.5.3 first (but never
actually letting clients write through it) shouldn't take very long
and would obviously be a Good Idea.

> If so, did you see any performance improvements due to 64 bit?

Impossible to tell: we're using STK 9940s in L700s and L180s the
pre-existing environments and LTO-3s in an HP MSL4048 in the new
one. I certainly don't have performance complaints, but we're not
really asking very much of that environment at the moment.

All that said, in moving off the existing masters in other
environments (and off the 7410s they use), we're seriously
considering moving to Linux masters, either on Proliant 58xs or in
C-class blades.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
Radian Group Inc, Unix/Linux/VMware Sysadmin / Backup & Recovery