Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Restore Netbackup from catastrophic failure of Master Server

2008-04-17 16:26:05
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Restore Netbackup from catastrophic failure of Master Server
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:02:10 -0400
> I am trying to recover my NetBackup and system data (catalog
> db and system partitions) from my tape library. My master server
> (UNIX) crashed and was unrecoverable.
>
> I have reloaded Solaris and rebuilt my Partitions. I do not
> have the data anywhere else. (Screwed up config I know, but
> I didn't build it) I have been through the disaster recovery
> section of the manual. I cannot find my catalog tape. I cannot
> get NetBackup working correctly. (I am going to have to reinstall
> it)
>
> I need to know how to find my catalog Tape?????

As others have responded, the first question is hot or cold backups.  If
cold, the tape format is different from normal backups, so--as others
have noted, bprecover -l is one way.  I prefer vmphyinv.  Read the man
page for it and look for the form that inventories a slot range, give it
as many drives as you like for read drives, and it will load those
tapes, read the labels to determine what type they are, and spit it out
to your terminal.  From the ones identified as DB backups, go to
bprecover -l.

If you did hot catalog backups in the NetBackup 6.x sense, you can
phase-1 import all your tapes and look for the type 35 backups.  Phase 1
is *much* faster than phase 2.

Worst case, phase-1 and phase-2 import all your tapes.  BT, DT, it's a
pain and only need be done if no catalog backup exists.  You'll have to
recreate your setup, but all the data will be recoverable.  You're in
the right book--the DR section of the NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide.
And the Commands manual, of course.