Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Restoring NDMP backups over the network

2008-01-22 22:46:29
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Restoring NDMP backups over the network
From: Len Boyle <Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com>
To: Jeff Cleverley <jeff.cleverley AT avagotech DOT com>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 22:30:28 -0500
I am a little fuzzy on your exact plan of action.
Given that here is what I understand what you can do.

1) netapps write in a dump format. So you can issue the dump command  on the
netapp and write the data out to tape or read in from tape. Unless things have
changed I believe that this is only to tape.

2) when using Netbackup with the netapp, the netbackup server controls the
process but the netapp does the heavy lifting. The netbackup code adds label
records to the tape. Which means that you can not just use the netapp dump
commands to read the labels. You have to know how to skip over them, which is
not so bad for the first tape, but can get tricky with the second tape.

3) It has been reported, but I have no first hand knowledge, that one can read
the netapp tapes on solaris.

4) If you keep an netbackup ndmp license you should be able to use a tape drive
attached to a netbackup media server and restore the data using ndmp to a filer
over the network. But this still requires netbackup. The requires some special
config work on the netbackup end of things.

len