Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Media Tape lifespan

2007-12-17 13:55:47
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Media Tape lifespan
From: Jon Bousselot <jon_bousselot AT sd.vrtx DOT com>
To: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 10:31:53 -0800
6 years old, so probably written with NB 3.2 or 3.4.  AIT-2 media, five
tapes, five fragments,  and fragment 4 was damaged in such a way that NB
could not finish the catalog import phase 2, but the data I wanted was
on tape 3.

Support gave me a tech doc that tells NB to keep the catalog data for
all images found prior to a failure.  Without this method, it would fail
on the import and discard all the previous work. (several hours!!)

The AIT-2 media was used in a small tape changer that lived in an
environment where drywall dust was present during construction,
rendering a number of the tapes faulty.  Don't do drywall work in a live
datacenter!!