Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VSP in 6.x

2007-10-29 13:42:40
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VSP in 6.x
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 13:22:21 -0400
If I'm not mistaken VSS is only available on Windows 2003.  Windows 2000 users are kind of up the creek.  If you want the software installed the same way every time I'd recommend creating a .mst or modifying Symantec's .msi so it can only be installed one way.  Software deployment FTW. =)  I've found with 200+ windows machines that its only certain boxes that have trouble with VSP files and for those I either disable VSP on the master or switch to VSS if Windows 2003.  I think its 6 servers right now.  That's not bad for 200+.  As far as disabling VSP all together, I'd rather have more Windows 2000 files backed up via VSP and deal with the headaches when it infrequently breaks, than turn it off altogether and miss all that data all the time.

-Jonathan