Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] FW: Replacement of StorageTek/SUN SN6000

2007-10-24 10:18:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] FW: Replacement of StorageTek/SUN SN6000
From: "Forester, Jack L" <jack.l.forester AT lmco DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:01:45 -0400
We have 2 SN6000s here.  They're not libraries or robots.  They can perform
tape viurtualization.  They present a set of virtual drives to the media
servers which they can dynamically map to physical tapes on the back end.  No
disk involved, and the physical and logical drives can be of different types.
They work with ACSLS as an ACSLS proxy.  There's other features, too like
replication where the host writes one stream of data, but the SN6000 actually
writes it to multiple tapes.  We never used that feature.

We're preparing to decommission our SN6000s.  They're not being replaced with
anything - we're just going to give the media servers direct access to the tape
drives.  We're adding a pair of VTLs to the environment, but not as a
replacement of the '6000s.

Jack L. Forester, Jr.
UNIX Systems Administrator, Stf
Lockheed Martin Information Technology