Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] I guess infinity isn't forever...

2007-10-18 20:55:10
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] I guess infinity isn't forever...
From: "Bobby Williams" <bobbyrjw AT comcast DOT net>
To: "'Justin Piszcz'" <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>, "'Pablo Barbáchano'" <pablobarbachano AT yahoo DOT es>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 20:43:11 -0400
It will import to the value set by the Retention level.  The image has the
retention level as an integer.  The master server interprets the expiration
based on the retention level.

If you have ret level 13 set at infinity, when you import the tape, it will
still be level 13.  The master will calculate the expiration at infinity.

If you expire the tape, change ret level 13 to be immediate, import the tape
again, it will expire as soon as the phase 2 import is finished.

That is why it is VERY VERY important to maintain the same retention levels
across all of your enterprise sites that my use different master servers.
(like a hot DR site).

Bobby Williams
2205 Peterson Drive
Chattanooga, Tennessee  37421