Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] 10GB network + perf questions etc

2007-08-24 22:24:37
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] 10GB network + perf questions etc
From: "Edson Noboru Yamada" <enyamada AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Dominik Pietrzykowski" <dominik_pietrzykowski AT toll.com DOT au>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 23:09:55 -0300

Hi

I have 3 media servers running with a 10 GbE NIC (alll running RHEL4). Two of them use a
Intel NIC, and the other uses  a NC-510F (NetXen chipset). We use 3 different server models:
a Sun V40Z, a IBM x366 and a HP DL580 g4. On my opinion, Intel(or AMD)+Linux machines
have a so much better cost/performance ratio than anything from SUN (extremely expensive
for the doubtful quality of their service and products).

All of server reach a peak of around 2-2.5 Gbps (250-300 MB/s). Using iperf, we could reach
3 Gbps using NC510F; unfortunately, it seems that the 64-bit version driver is buggy,
and we're obliged to use a 32 bits OS on a machine with 16 GB of RAM (which is very bad), which,
I believe, strongly affects netbackup performance.
I do NOT recommend this NIC at all.

rgds