Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] maximum backup streams for SAN data

2007-04-10 11:51:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] maximum backup streams for SAN data
From: bobbyrjw at comcast.net (bobbyrjw AT comcast DOT net)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:51:32 +0000
If you are using NB5.1, don't make them larger than 1TB.  There is a reported
bug that documents that even though you get good backups, you can't restore.

I have seen the restores fail.  There is not a way to get it off of the tape.

Bobby.

From: "Adams, Dwayne" <AdamsDC at medsch.ucsf.edu>

Hello,

I am designing a new backup environment.  I have some NDMP data to backup with
volumes that can grow up to 5TB each. Should I separate the volumes into to
multiple streams for NDMP backups in excess of a TB? I have read that this is a
best practice but I would like to know what people are doing in the real world?
 I am aware of the benefits of shrinking the dataset if a job fails. =)

Thanks in advance,

Dwayne Adams