Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] ORACLE RMAN Backups/Restore

2007-03-16 13:32:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] ORACLE RMAN Backups/Restore
From: Kevin.Whittaker at syniverse.com (Kevin Whittaker)
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:32:17 -0400
We currently run NetBackup Enterprise Server 5.1MP3 with 11 SSO 9940B
tape drives (L700E) shared over 32 media servers.  Everyone of our
ORACLE database servers are also SAN media servers, so their backups do
not go across the standard network.  We have recently added a EMC CDL720
with 35TB and 8 fiber connections to allow us to create virtual L700
silo with up to 20 drives.

Our issue deals with RMAN restores.  At this time all of our ORACLE
backups are multiplexed with 4 RMAN channels going to one tape.  This is
great, because we are backing of databases pretty quickly.... 650GB
database level 0 in 5 hours.  But we recently lost 118GB of data files
on that 650GB database and it took right under 11 hours to restore the
level 0 and 2 level 1 backups.  It spend 10 hours on the level 0 and 1
hour on the 2 level 1 backups.

What we are looking to do is make sure that we are backing up the best
way to allow for the quickest restores.  With the addition of the CDL, I
could create a robot and present 20 drives to one server and they backup
4 channels to 4 separate tapes, if I thought the restore would run
faster.

How do you do your RMAN backups?  How fast are restores from the type of
backups you do?

Thanks in advance for your information.