Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpstart/bpend and requeued jobs (134)

2007-02-16 12:26:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpstart/bpend and requeued jobs (134)
From: Jason.Ellis at indymacbank.com (Ellis, Jason)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:26:24 -0800
I have a minor problem with a set of bpstart and bpend notify scripts
and jobs that are requeued.

A quick background on my scripts: the bpstart script creates a snap-shot
of a volume, and then using Volume Manager mounts that snap-shot volume
to a Media server to back it up. After the bpstart script runs it
creates a lock file to prevent a duplicate backup job from starting
(either through a fluke of the scheduler or by mistake of an admin). The
bpend script unmounts the volume and destroys the snap-shot. The bpend
script usually takes between two and five minutes to complete (depending
on the size of the volume snapped), and when the bpend script is
finished is when it removes the lock file created by the bpstart script.
This means if a job is requeued and then goes active while the bpend
script is still running the job will fail with a 73 (bpstart exits with
a non-zero status) because of a lock meant to prevent duplicate backup
jobs.

My other concern is I don't need to create, and then destroy the
snap-shot each time the job is requeued. I'd prefer to have the bpend
script test if the job was requeued and if so to not run and setup the
bpstart script to also not run (as long as the drive is mounted). I've
tried to mitigate this with some logic, but apparently (conversely to
what Symantec told me) the status code 134 is not passed to the bpend
script upon requeing. I did some testing and have one days worth of data
that indicates the status code sent to bpend is 66 when a job is
requeued.

My question is: Has anybody else run into a similar problem with bpstart
and bpend notify scripts and requeued jobs? If so, what have you done
with your scripts to mitigate it? Is the status code 66 the typical
status code you will see with a requeued job? Or is the status code
different depending on the reason the job was requeued?

Thanks in advanced!

Jason Ellis
Technical Consultant, Data Protection Team
IndyMac Bank, La Mirada Datacenter
Phone: (714) 520-3414
Mobile: (714) 889-8734