Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SOLUTION - Serious master issue...

2007-02-16 09:44:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SOLUTION - Serious master issue...
From: hampus.lind at rps.police.se (Hampus Lind)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 15:44:18 +0100
Hi all,

We got Syamntec consulting to find and solve the problem for us.. (of course
for a price)

They found that we had 3 oracle clients that very querying the image
database like crazy... Which caused bpdbm and bprd to start new process all
the time..

When I presented this for support they all of a sudden found that this was a
known problem which where to be solved in MP7.

We have 3 oracle crosschecks from 3 different clients which had been running
for over a month causing these problems.

Answer from support:

As promised here is a list of possible workarounds which may help relieve
the problems you are experiencing. The bug report that we have opened for
this is titled "RMAN catalog maintenance functions taking too long and use
excessive resources on the master server."  -

Workaround:

Until the fix is released in a NetBackup Maintenance Pack, there are several
things which can decrease the time required for RMAN maintenance.  Implement
these recommendations in the order shown, testing after each change, until
the maintenance time required is within an acceptable time.

- Schedule crosscheck or other maintenance functions to run more frequently.
If they are running only once a day, schedule them to run several times
during the day.

- If there are multiple Oracle hosts running maintenance functions, stagger
the start time of the jobs so they do not overlap.

- Change the RMAN script so there are multiple backup files or logs per
backup set rather than a single file or log per set.

- Change the RMAN script so the backup piece name format statement
includes_%t as the last format specification.

Now I will raise hell and learn Symantec support (especially the once we had
in US) some really nasty Swedish words. :-)

I would like to thank all of you on this list, you have been great.

Kind regards,

Hampus Lind

Rikspolisstyrelsen

National Police Board