Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Fiber Drive Question

2007-02-14 16:53:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Fiber Drive Question
From: estrom8 at yahoo.com (Erik Strom)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:53:15 -0800 (PST)
Each time our vendor comes in and updates the firmware on our 25 tape drives
most of them have to be deleted and re-added to my windows x64 media servers.
The Linux ones don't seem to have this issue. is there a way to lock in the
tape drives so that I don't have to re-scan because of firmware revisions?

Also have problems whenever two or more drives are taken offline at one time.

We've been running 9940B drives for nearly 3 years now, and I've never
heard of a table of addresses to control access to the drive. I've been
through the menus on the drive and looked through the drive manual and
never saw a reference to such a "feature". Are you having a problem at
this moment? Can you provide more information about your setup and the
problem?

Erik Strom wrote:

Quote:
Has anyone heard about a table of wwn/addresses located inside of a 9940B or
similiar fiber tape drives? I heard a rumor but cannot find any documentation
that said,.

The tape drive has a table of addresses that it will allow read/write access to
the tape drive. There is only 16 slots available for these entries. This means
that in order for a 17th media server to access this drive that it must wait
for one of the existing 16 to drop out of the table. This is suppose to be the
explaination as to why tape drives seem to disappear or become no longer
functional to a media server.

I've heard stranger things but I wanted to see if this is an urban myth or if
someone can supply me with documentation about this.