Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Dmz problem with backup

2007-02-08 16:14:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Dmz problem with backup
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 16:14:44 -0500
You only need 13782 open Master -> client
And 13724 only needs to be open client -> master.
13720 client -> master is only necessary if you want to do client
initiated backups and restores.

Sounds like the session timeout on those firewall rules is too short.

F'rinstance, if your firewall session timeout is 10 minutes (or more
likely configured as 600 seconds)
Your 500Meg backup might complete within the 10 minutes that the session
is alive.

When you backup the 3 Gigs it takes more than 10 minutes, so the
Firewall session drops.

You'll see this in your firewall logs as something like "SynAck received
out of order"

Bump up the session timeout value on the firewall to a couple hours, run
another backup and see if it works.
You can reduce the timeout value later to something shorter, and only as
large as it needs to be, plus a little buffer for variance.

Let me know if this solves your problem.

Paul

--

La version fran?aise suit le texte anglais.

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank
of
Canada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying of
this
unauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it immediately
from

Le pr?sent courriel peut contenir de l'information privil?gi?e ou
confidentielle.
La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y rapportent. Toute
diffusion,
personne autre que le ou les destinataires d?sign?s est interdite. Si vous
recevez
ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le supprimer imm?diatement et envoyer sans
d?lai ?
l'exp?diteur un message ?lectronique pour l'aviser que vous avez ?limin? de
votre
ordinateur toute copie du courriel re?u.