Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing Up too much Data

2007-01-30 07:51:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing Up too much Data
From: pkoster at ci.grand-rapids.mi.us (Koster, Phil)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 07:51:03 -0500
Master: NBU 6 MP4 on Win 2K Server

Client in Question: Windows Server 2003 Storage Edition SP1 (fully
patched) running NBU 6 client.  Data is all file storage. User and
departmental directories

Other Info: Just upgraded from NT 4 domain to AD 2003 R2.

Problem:  We have several Dell PowerVault 745N's.  One of them backs up
way too much.  We have two of them that have almost the identical size
and type of data.  Both currently have around 400 GB of data.  The
Incremental are the problem.  One backs up about 50 GB per night.  The
other backs up like 350 GB per night.

The only "significant" event log entries I can find anywhere are:
----------------------
Type:   Error
Source: VSS
Event ID:       12301
Event Time:     1/29/2007 5:29:07 PM
User:   n/a
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Writer Removable Storage Manager did
not respond to a GatherWriterStatus call.
--------------------------
And
-----------------------
Type:   Error
Source: Userenv
Event ID:       1053
Event Time:     1/30/2007 2:38:15 AM
User:   NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (The system detected
a possible attempt to compromise security.  Please ensure that you can
contact the server that authenticated you. ). Group Policy processing
aborted.
------------------

I found a KB article referencing a MS bug where the GPO's reset the
archive bit.  I fully patched the server up to the latest and greatest
as recommended but the problem still persists.  I also have audited the
anti-virus on the system (McAfee) and did not see anything in the log
files of interest.  I also tried deleting and re-creating the DNS
entries to no avail.

I did some more research and there are a about a dozen different answers
to the above with a wide range of possible consequences.  I only get one
maintenance window a week and this is chewing through 20GB 9840 tapes
like nothing.  I'm just wondering if anyone has come across this before
and if so what they did to fix it?

Thanks.

Phil Koster
Network Administrator