Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Block or file level

2007-01-29 22:04:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Block or file level
From: jonathan.marianu at cingular.com (Marianu, Jonathan)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 19:04:39 -0800

Shashi,

The netbackup process on the client, bpbkar reads the files from the
file system and creates a tar file that it streams over the network to
the bptm process running on a media server. The file is written in a
standard gnu tar format to tape. If needed, you can read the information
from tape without netbackup just using gnu tar.
A caveat is that if you enable multiplexing the bptm process combines
and intersperses fragments of multiple tar streams to tape and then it
would be more difficult to read from tape just using tar.

___________________________________
Remedy information:
Group: "National EBR Ops"
Scope: Backend Applications
Category: NetBackup

http://netbackup.entp.attws.com

Jonathan Marianu (mah ree ah' nu)
National Enterprise Backup Restore
AT&T/Cingular
(360) 597-6896

Manager: John Menzik
(425) 288-8690

Hi All

I have a small traditional LAN based backup setup with NetBackup 5.1 . I
created a policy on my backup server to backup a specific directory from
a backup client, and the directory sits in a traditional UNIX file
system on my backup client. My question is, when the policy triggered,
is the data traveled from backup client to backup server is in terms of
block level or file level? . I am getting different answers from
different people, please anyone clarify my doubt. Thank you.

Thanks & Regards,
Shashi Kanth