Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup MS SQL DB using Private LAN.

2007-01-27 12:13:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup MS SQL DB using Private LAN.
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 11:13:58 -0600
On 1/27/2007 9:52 AM, Ana Alltari wrote:
> I have a master server on Win2k3/NBUv 6.0 MP4 on SITE1 and a Media
> Server on Win2k3/NBUv 6.0 MP4 on SITE2. on Site 2 there are several
> MS SQL clients to backup.
>
> i have set up the following networking topology. Master on Site1 and
> Media on Site 2 communicate with each other via Public LAN and the
> connection between Media and SQL Clients is done via private LAN
> (alredy set up on Site2) let me state that the master can connetct to
> the Media and MS SQL clients on site 2 only via Public LAN but master
> server does not have connection with the private network on Site 2.
>
> what i want to do is to perform the backup of SQL db via the private
>  LAN, meaning that the backup data transfer between client and media
> to be performed via Private LAN, menawhile what i get from the NBU
> manual for SQL, in order to create a private LAN  for SQL is
> mandatory to have connection between MAster and Client.
>
> any idea / experience on how find a solution on my problem?

The manual is right - the master *has* to be able to communicate with
the client using the DNS name given in the policy since it's the master
that is triggering the backup.  This isn't a SQL issue - it's true for
all NetBackup master/client relationships.

What I think might work, and I've never tested it as I generally think
it's a bad idea, is that you can put an entry in the hosts file on the
master for the private lan name and the public IP address.  The master
will then be able to tell the client to do the backup, but I think that
the media server will communicate with the client over the private
address.  You'll have to experiment to see if this actually works.

What we've done in our environment is to ensure that the master has a
route to the private lans at the remote sites.  Your media server at the
remote site is in fact a router - it has to sit on both the public and
private network segments.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA