Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Pre-/Post-Exec scripts with NetBackup 5.1?

2007-01-09 07:47:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Pre-/Post-Exec scripts with NetBackup 5.1?
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 06:47:26 -0600
On 1/9/2007 6:22 AM, Alexander Skwar wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Whelan, Patrick wrote:
>> Look at bpstart_notify and bpend_notify examples in
>> /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies.
>
> Thanks a lot. This seems to be very much what I'm looking for.
>
> Some questions, though. How do I "install" this script? Do I
> need to copy it to some special directory?

Copy it it to /usr/openv/netbackup/bin (I'm going from memory here - try
it with a simple one-liner to touch a file and you can test it).

> In the comments it says:
>
> # This script is called by NetBackup when bpbkar is started up on the client
> # to do a backup or archive.
>
> Suppose I've got 2 directories in a Backup Selection. Will this script
> be started twice? If so, can I somehow find out which directory is
> going to be backed up?

It will get called for every stream.  In NetBackup 6.0, some of the
stuff around this changed - I think you can now test for the start/end
of the parent job, not just the children.

Be *very* careful with the start/exit scripts - there are timeout limits
  that could trigger if you have a long-running script.

There are definitely cases where the exit script will not run.  Do not
use it to stop/start databases if you're running multiple streams,
especially with NBU 4.x or 5.x.  It is supposed to work better with 6.0,
but we haven't tested it.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA