Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO-3 throughput expectations

2006-12-21 15:55:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO-3 throughput expectations
From: Richard.Mansell at ccc.govt.nz (Mansell, Richard)
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:55:07 +1300
Hi Steve

We are a Windows based shop running 6.0 MP3. We use an HP MSL6060
library with 4 LT03 drives. When backing up individual servers over a
gigabit network we can get 80-90MB/s especially when backing up
databases. During the overnight backup run when many servers backup
together we get up to 60MB/s.

The vault duplication process runs at up to 150MB/s with most being
around the 100MB/s.

I don't know if you have had a chance to play with the Netbackup buffers
but that was where the biggest gains were for us. Ours are currently set
to:-

SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK          1048576
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS             64
NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS_DISK        64
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS                       262144
NET_BUFFER_SZ                   1048576

We had a play with multiplexing but found that the gains during backups
were almost negated by the extra time taken to do the vault process.
Since the time pressure for us was during the vault process not
overnight backups we turned it off again.

Regards

Richard