Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Browse / Restore Oracle Backups via Netbackup GUI

2006-11-28 13:32:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Browse / Restore Oracle Backups via Netbackup GUI
From: Michael.Sponsler at ngc.com (Sponsler, Michael)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 13:32:49 -0500
Using: Netbackup 6.0, MP2, Solaris 8 media server, Solaris 10 Master
Server.

I'm trying to use the jbpSA program, "Backup, Archive, Restore".  I use
jbpSA to connect to my Media Server, which is running the Oracle DB.
Under "Directory Structure" I see my Database.  I click on it, and it
asks me for a Username (with SYSDBA priv.), password, and an Alias.  I
give it a sysdba username, password, and the DB alias and it gives me a
permission denied error.  Is there something I'm missing when trying to
browse the backed up Oracle data through the Netbackup Java GUI?  I can
do a bplist and get the info, but it's not in any type of structure and
it doesn't mean anything to me outside of the fact that I can see that
it is backed up.  Has anyone had any luck using the Netbackup Java GUI
to just browse through their oracle db backups?

Truth be told, I need to recover some table spaces.  Sadly, RMAN's
retention was set to only 10 days (where as Netbackup's data and tape
retention is a few months), so RMAN's control file forgot about the data
I need to restore.  I have a ticket logged with Veritas and Oracle about
this.  So if anyone has any similar experiences with this, please kindly
share!

Thanks.

--
Mike Sponsler