Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup, Networker, or CommVault Galaxy?

2006-11-22 14:14:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup, Networker, or CommVault Galaxy?
From: wts at maine.edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 14:14:20 -0500
Interesting.  A few years ago, I was in the reverse position.  I had
TSM, but could not continue due to (my mainframe) platform.  I was the
tech person and saw TSM vastly superior to NBU.  Decision makers and
finances (deals were bountiful) meant a switch to NBU.

Now I know NBU well and can make it work fairly reasonably.  But even
now it is not the product that TSM was a few years ago.  There are vast
differences in how the two products work, so they are difficult to
compare.  My biggest difference makers?   TSM can easily be made to run
by itself for long periods of time, with confidence of your
backup/restore capability/status and its SQL interface to *everything*
from settings to logs to backed up file information.  3rd party products
such as from Aptare may bring NBU up to the TSM level.

Finally, I temper all this with the facts that I started NetBackup 4
years ago and stopped looking at TSM 3 years ago.  Both TSM and NBU have
great user support mailing lists. 3 years ago, TSM had significantly
greater technical support people participating in the mailing list than
NBU.  Recently, we've had a little Symantec participation here ... I
find that significant and very much appreciate it!

Hope this helps someone!   cheers, wayne