Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup, Networker, or CommVault Galaxy?

2006-11-20 21:26:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup, Networker, or CommVault Galaxy?
From: probertson at unixway.com (Paul Robertson)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 21:26:07 -0500 (EST)
Folks,

My current employer is running an ancient version (3.4) of Netbackup,
backing up mostly Solaris and Windows clients in three datacenters. The
largest datacenter has about 15TB of mostly oracle data.

We've finally gotten approval to purchase updated backup software and
tape libraries, and we're considering our options. From a software
perspective, we're content with Netbackup, but we're not sure it offers
the best value anymore. We're also a little skittish after reading
negative comments on this list about Netbackup 6.0.

Netbackup has an inherent advantage because we currently use it, but our
current version is so old that we wouldn't upgrade the existing
installation. We'd leave it around for a few years just for restore
requests. So we're in the fortunate position where we can effectively
start from scratch.

After a preliminary investigation, we've narrowed our options to
Netbackup, Networker, or CommVault Galaxy. I'm interested in learning
from list members about their opinions of these products. I understand
that this is a Netbackup list, but I'm hoping to hear stories from
people who have used these competing products, and can share light on
the relative merits of each.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Paul